Search This Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2012

If Only My Morals Were Where They Should Be

To the American people-
 I am so, so sorry that I am one of those deadweight, lazy Democratic leeches that has used your hard-earned tax dollars. I know that money could have been better spent on perhaps another TV for your home, the newest iPod for little Johnny, or to go towards your monthly payment on your Lexus. But no. Instead it went to me- a young, divorced mother who used the Medicaid program so that my kids could go for their check-ups and so that my youngest son, who had syncope/seizure spells could get an EEG to make sure he didn't have any serious neurological disorders. It also went towards college grants that helped pay my tuition while I was going to school to become.... another worthless nurse. 

I know! I know. It was a complete waste, right? It was a waste, seeing as how I am now a hard-working educated person paying for my own insurance, enjoying two healthy children, and paying my own taxes.

Oh....wait! 

 I am a hard-working educated person who pays taxes.  I pay for my own insurance and believe that everyone deserves the right to receive medical care if they need it. I enjoy two healthy children with whom I spend time teaching how to do for others, to think for themselves, and to work for what they want.  I am more than willing to pay a little extra if it means that I can give others the opportunities I had when I was down on my luck and I got assistance. And you know what? I know that there are people out there who abuse the system. But I also KNOW that there are more people out there who just need help back onto their feet. I know that there are babies out there who can't help that their daddy has left them or their mommy can't hold a job. So, if the system-abusers end up getting assistance in the process of me helping the people who truly need it….so be it.  

I believe this election has brought out the ugly side in a lot of people. I know that neither party is completely innocent. But, I can also tell you that as a person who leans more towards the Liberal side in my views, I have had my integrity and spirituality questioned by the Conservative people who surround me in this great state of Texas. You know what? I think saying that they have been questioned is an understatement. I have been verbally assaulted. I have had people from my church call me a murderer because I vote for Democratic candidates. I have had a coworker come into my office for nothing else but to point her finger in my face and tell me, "If your morals were in the right place, you would have voted differently," followed by her stomping out of my office while stating, "You call yourself a Christian." I have been bombarded with claims that people who vote for Obama are lazy, selfish, and stupid. That is NOT okay.  
People lumping Democrats into that tiny box would be like me saying that those who vote for Romney are greedy warmongers who refuse to form their own opinions about things and instead regurgitate everything Fox News feeds to them. Now, we know that isn’t true. Right? I know I have many, many Conservative friends who don’t fit that mold but instead are very giving, smart, peaceful people.

Moral of the story:
1.     Democrats are not all welfare abusers. Things are not that black and white, so don’t assume anything.
2.     Be a little more tolerant of people who are different than you. Being accepting of other peoples’ opinions doesn’t mean you agree with them. It means you are a strong, secure enough person to love differences instead of being scared of them.
3.     Yes, there are Christians out there who believe that people in this country should have equal opportunities and rights- no matter gender, race, social class, or who they love.
4.     Be nice.

Thanks for your time. If you have something to add and you can do it in a considerate manner, feel free to chat with me. If you feel like being mean- I’ve had enough of that and I have no time for you.

Sincerely,
         Christina

8 comments:

  1. Way back when my oldest (who is now 18!) was in Kindergarten, I was pregnant. At approximately 6 months, unfortunately the baby died. I had what most would call an "abortion". Could I have gone another 3 months carrying a dead baby and having strangers ask "When are you due?" "Is it a boy or a girl" ... probably not...It would have put a horrible burden on me and my husband...I think the overturning of "Roe vs. Wade" is a slippery slope we don't want to go down... among other things that the Republicans seem to believe... Thank you for your post! You are a great mother, family member, and a productive member of society! I Love you!!! Lou Ann Wright...Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am worried about messing with abortion laws as well because I feel that it will get to the point in which people who need an abortion for whatever reason will not be able to get one.

      Thank you for your love. I think you are amazing, Lou Ann.

      Delete
  2. My friend LouAnn shared your link with me. I find it unfortunate and sad that you were treated in such a fashion by so called Christians. Hardly Christian behavior when their actions are incorrigible .... its sad for many reasons. I too recieved assistance with my 1st child. I was at the time and still am to this day thankful for programs that help assure the safety and well-being of our children. I too currently am a nurse, working in a school and all to often see children in horrific need. Programs are abused - I don't believe we can deny that but for those out there abusing the system, there are so many more who are in dire need and appreciating the service in their time of need. Sad fact is I still need to work 3 jobs along with my husband working 3 jobs and we are JUST getting by... life is hard people need to learn the art of compassion and nonjudgement. Thanks for your post & for letting me share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and understanding.
      You know....I am not a wealthy person either. My husband and I work hard. We live in a duplex and have lots of bills from job losses when the economy fell apart. But, I understand that we are still much better off than many other people. Therefore, I am in a position to give. I wish some people could see that about their situation.

      Delete
  3. Sweet friend
    I am so sorry for the way you were treated. It really makes me sad. As you know christians are certainly anything but perfect but we are supposed to be striving to follow a perfect savior. Obviously we often fail miserably. On the other hand, sometimes it is good to have our reasoning questioned. It forces us to ask ourselves why it is we do what we do. You are precious and the only one you have to answer to is God. Don't let the haters get you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura.
      You know....I know that as Christians we are not going to be perfect. I just wish that some of the people who represent our religion would understand that when they alienate people like that, they push them away from ever wanting to be religious.
      I know this from experience because as a young Christian, I stopped going to church for a while because I wanted to be nothing like the elders of my church. I came back to the church. I am stronger in my faith now. I am not going to let that turn me away. But, I know that I don't want to make anyone else the way other Christians have made me feel. I want them to feel like they will be loved by me because I am representing a loving God and a perfect Savior.
      Like you said, I only have to answer to God. God knows that abortion breaks my heart and I couldn't do it (My OB/GYN with my second son tried to talk me into an abortion with that pregnancy-it was never an option). But, I worry about guidelines being set that will prevent abortion when it really is needed.
      God knows that I am not homosexual and I couldn't live that way. But, God also knows that I think people who are guilty of nothing but loving someone of the same sex should have the same legal rights when it comes to taking care of someone they have dedicated thier life to.
      God knows that I want nothing more than to be able to help people who need it by giving a little bit of my money each month.
      God knows my intentions. God knows that I am trying to love his people. I have nothing to feel guilty about.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with everything you wrote, it was appalling how many adjectives were thrown around on Facebook about people who voted for Obama after the election was called. I really wish people would keep their political opinions to themselves and follow the old adage about not discussing politics, religion and sex in public. Don't let other self righteous people get you down, know there are others of us like you who believe in the good in people.

    ReplyDelete